Picnicking: A Type of Preventative Care

By Sophia Salamanca

Every season has its pros and cons, and both are never felt more than during the transition from one to another. So, as Harvard welcomes fall and says goodbye to summer, there are bound to be some growing pains for those of us on campus. My remedy for these pains is simple: picnics! They’re the perfect opportunity to soak in every last bit of sun and celebrate with your friends before rain and midterms drive them away. To make sure that you take advantage of every sunny day or over-70-degree hour, here are all the necessary details to plan your very own picnic — no planning on your part required!

Location

Clothes make the man, and an aesthetic setting makes the picnic! Luckily, we have an abundance of grassy areas around the Yard. Some of the most popular picnic spots are along the Charles River, near Dunster and Winthrop. Said location is great for its river scenery, convenience, and general Harvardness. Just grab a picnic blanket and pop a squat. Warning to those scared of bees though.

Another alternative is the Harvard Business School! It’s a little more manicured and offers a ton of outdoor event-hosting spaces, including pavilions and sheltered outdoor seating areas, in case the weather turns sour. You can even take a turn in the greenhouse/chapel, although there isn’t any seating there.

Last but not least, for those who are nature-averse or maybe just allergic: The balconies on the upper floors of the Science Center make a great outdoor gathering space. They’re located on every floor above the third and are outfitted with picnic tables and other seating. Plus, if you choose one on the fourth floor, you can even filch coffee from the Math Lounge!

Food

With the location set, the next most important factor of the picnic is the food. The most obvious and classic choice is Trader Joe’s. But even within Joe’s walls, there are many other sub-themes to choose from — I offer you three.

The first is, as you might expect, charcuterie! Take the picnic as the perfect opportunity to try out the store's cheese and meat section. I promise you won’t regret it. To spice up the selection even more, I recommend something from the dried fruits section, like apricots, mangoes, or cranberries or even actual fruit! Grapes, strawberries, and cherries are always a crowd pleaser.

The second theme is what I like to call bread and spread. Trader Joe’s offers a nice selection of bread, including sourdough, focaccia, and many other dessert breads. They also offer a ton of different spreads — do you see where I’m getting the theme name from — which you can mix and match to your preferences. I recommend the cocoa-almond spread and jams for those with sweet tooths and olive oil and balsamic vinegar for those who favor the savory.

The third theme is similar to the previous one, but this time, it is called chips and dip! This theme focuses on the many types of hummus and dip that Ole’ Joe provides and people’s general love of chips and crackers. My favorite pairing is the spinach and artichoke dip with the Crunchy Curls! But, generally, following one’s heart will work out.

The Invitation

The last step to planning the picnic, the invitation, is often overlooked. However, there’s a subtle art form to inviting someone to your picnic. After all, the type and style of your invitation sets the tone of the gathering. Will it be casual? Boozy? Will it have a dress code? I recommend you hone the wording and graphics of your invitation to convey exactly the theme you want. I also recommend using tools like Partiful, which lets you stylize invitations in any way your heart desires. Plus, as opposed to group chats or individual text blasts, everyone can see who's coming and who’s not (very helpful to snoopers).

And with that, I hope I’ve made your future picnic planning seamless and easy! Picnics are also just a nice excuse to catch up with friends, an activity always much needed during the hectic times of the semester. So grab your blanket and go!

Flyby BlogFlyby Front FeatureFlyby FrontHow to Harvard

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.