10 Things You Will Probably Hear On Campus This Fall

•
By Sophia Salamanca

As fall quickly approaches and mindsets change from missing summer to counting the days until Thanksgiving break, I thought I would round up some common phrases you may start hearing around campus.

1. “There's a mouse in my room!”

Same!! There has been a mouse in our room for a week now. One of my roommates seems to really have a problem with it, but honestly, it's getting cold, and I don't really blame him.

2. “Wow, this is miserable.”

Are you referring to the spitting rain or the two-hour-long lecture you're about to sit through while completely drenched? Because I would have to agree on both fronts.

3. “Where are all the people?” Said in reference to the dwindling in-person attendance of Ec 10a

I have no idea, but I'm starting to think they know what’s up.

4. “I'll meet you at 8 for breakfast before class, and we can do the reading together.”

While in theory a very ‘college-y’ and wholesome idea, by the time we get to fall, the follow-through rate on plans like this begins to plummet. Sadly, tomorrow morning, your alarm is going to go off at 7:30, and you will then proceed to snooze it 20 times until suddenly it's 8:45, and there just isn't quite enough time to grab a Veritaffle before your 9 a.m.

5. “Leafing”??

Idk, the other day, I overheard someone say they wanted to go “leafing” in response to being asked about their favorite fall activity. I did everyone a favor and looked it up, and it's basically like going bird-watching but without the birds…

6. “I'm so tired of Berg food.”

This should serve as a warning to all of the upperclassmen out there; the freshmen are coming for your dining halls. Specifically those of you at Dunster — I fear you are at the highest risk. However, if you’re in the Quad, I think you’re good. That 17-minute trek is quite a turnoff.

7. “Are you going to hit a brain break at some point?”

Unfortunately, yes. It may be a Thursday night, but it's also one of the best bets for social interaction four weeks into freshman year.

8. “Ugh, I've had the freshman flu for a week now.”

I'm so sorry to hear that… Please scoot away from me now. Sanders during Justice is far too packed for you to disclose this. I am trapped with you and three old people (what are they even doing here, anyway?) between me and my escape from you and your illness.

9. “I'm so excited for Harvard-Yale!”

Considering half of my friends applied early to Yale (and are now attending various other universities…you can connect those dots), I'm extremely excited to support the revenge effort and also to experience what I have been told is the best weekend of freshman year!

10. “I have midterms next week.”

How is that possible? We literally got here a week ago.

But newsflash, you didn't. It has actually been over a month, and now fall is here (whether we like it or not), and you need to be ready! I hope these phrases were as relatable as I hoped they would be; or conversely, if you haven't heard any of them because you are never caught without your AirPods in, I hope you feel all caught up on the season's chatter.

Flyby BlogFlyby Front FeatureFlyby FrontAround Campus

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.