How to: Eat Lunch Quickly

By Sophia Salamanca

Did you pick your fall schedule to minimize 9 a.m.’s and now are in class nonstop from 10:30 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.? Are you so crushed by psets that you can’t fit in a break in the middle of your day to eat? Are you scarfing down a bland FlyBy sandwich every day, thinking to yourself, “there must be a better way for me to eat?” If so, this article is for you. Read on to find tips on how to not starve until dinner.

1. Berg

If you are a freshman, my advice is don’t go to FlyBy. Instead, sneak out of your class early and get takeout from Annenberg. You can easily pass through in five minutes or less and will get way more options than FlyBy. Upperclassmen will be grateful for a shorter line, and you won’t have to eat the same tomato mozzarella wrap and chili every day.

2. FlyBy combos

If you are tired of FlyBy, try combining food items in interesting ways to spice up the boring soup and sandwich options. My personal favorite is mixing pretzels, Oreos, and yogurt together. I don’t have a name for this, but the sweet/salty/tangy mix is delicious and keeps life interesting.

3. Bagged lunch

If you read my last point and thought to yourself, “I don’t have time for FlyBy” — maybe you have to run from Barker to Northwest (a trek Google Maps says takes 14 minutes) — fear not, for I have a solution for you! Order bagged lunch here and pick it up on your way out in the morning. You get the same foods as FlyBy without the wait!

4. Skip class

For any admin reading, we at Flyby do not condone not going to school. Okay, but actually, if your class is recorded and attendance is optional… maybe just don’t go. Lunch is a great time to socialize with friends, take a break from a busy day, and relax for a moment until you go back to the pset grind. If you watch the lecture at 2x speed you will save 37.5 minutes: plenty of time to indulge in delicacies like curly fries and grape pizza.

5. Ditch your friends

If you are reading this article and you “have time for lunch” (as in no class) but don’t *have* time for lunch (maybe your sophomore fall schedule is demolishing you), consider eating alone while watching that lecture you skipped on 2x speed. Although it is great to catch up with friends, grabbing a quick meal can easily turn into an hour-long ordeal; instead, really maximize your time by just doing more school!

With Crimson Carts opening in less than a month (it feels like we are always in course registration at this school), keep these tips in mind to remind yourself not to pick that 9 a.m. Math 21A section and instead, let yourself sleep in and eat lunch quickly the Flyby way (not the FlyBy way).

Flyby BlogFlyby Front FeatureFlyby FrontHow to Harvard

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.