Harvard Professor Gary Ruvkun Wins 2024 Nobel Prize in Medicine

No One Wants to Join the Harvard GSAS Student Council

Multimedia

In Photos: Giant Pumpkins, Barn Animals, and Bees at Topsfield’s Historic Fair

13-Hour Power Shutdown Leaves Dunster House Students in the Dark

California Man Arrested For Threatening Cambridge and Somerville Businesses

Parkside Bookshop Opens in Boston’s South End

On Sept. 2, Parkside Bookshop opened in Boston’s South End.
On Sept. 2, Parkside Bookshop opened in Boston’s South End. By Courtesy of Hannah E. Gadway
By Hannah E. Gadway, Crimson Staff Writer

On Sept. 2, Parkside Bookshop opened in Boston’s South End. The cozy bookstore, nestled next to Peters Park, is a calming place for locals to grab their favorite novels. Given its local demographic, the store’s management aims for the space to become a community hub.

Less than a month after the store’s opening day, the business has already established a calm, familiar atmosphere. Its wide doors open directly onto Shawmut Avenue, which is populated with businesses and homes alike. One of the storefront’s brick walls is adorned with a black-and-white mural of Boston’s iconic brownstones. In the back of the space, a fireplace is flanked by comfortable chairs where patrons can sit and peruse at their leisure. The store is not expansive, but is still filled to the brim with titles ranging from fantasy novels to cookbooks. Beyond books, the store also offers art supplies, vinyl records, and Parkside Bookshop-themed merch — the bucket hat was particularly eye-catching.

Parkside Bookshop is owned by Barbara Clarke, a Boston resident who also runs The Provincetown Bookshop on Cape Cod. The store is managed on a day-by-day basis by Clarissa Murphy, a bookseller with over 15 years of experience in the Boston area. Murphy sat down with The Crimson to discuss the store’s inception as well as the business’s community goals.

“A neighborhood bookstore is something that the community definitely wants,” Murphy said. “So the reception has been really great since we opened. Probably the biggest comment is, ‘We wanted this so much.’ And I think Boston as a city is very invested in its bookstores and literature, so it just kind of fits.”

This emphasis on everything local was reflected in the store’s initial marketing, which was subtle and largely based on word-of-mouth hype.

“There was a lot of anticipation in the neighborhood,” Murphy said. “A lot of people looking by, poking their face in the window and checking it out. And so we didn't do a lot of extra social media [marketing] or anything for opening.”

Locals do seem to be the primary customer base. One customer, Vay Dam, visited the store after watching its construction progress.

“I was walking by and I saw a sign saying that it was opening up soon,” Dam said. “Then I just kept checking and it finally opened.”

This neighbor-specific focus is reflected in the bookshop’s goals for future events.

“We're a general interest bookstore, and really a neighborhood bookstore, where we want everyone to feel welcome,” Murphy said. “We want everyone to be able to come in and find a book. Doesn't matter what you read, doesn't matter what you're looking for, and that will be reflected in different events that we have. We are working on some collaborations with other local businesses to start an event series.”

While the books are important, giving the South End and its residents a place to feel welcome is the main objective of the store.

“We want to be invested in the community. We want the community to invest in us, and we want to be here for them as a space to gather and enjoy literature,” Murphy said.

While most of its programming will kick off in the new year, Parkside Bookshop has already established a few events that will connect the business to Boston residents. Murphy pointed to an upcoming class visit.

“We have a school visit coming, a class of six and seven-year-olds in November,” Murphy said. “They're going to come and learn about how a bookstore works. And I think that's very much in line with our mission.”

Parkside Bookshop seeks to go beyond bookselling. The store’s management team wants to expand opportunities for South Enders to enjoy both literature and each other’s company. While the store is still in its infancy, its welcoming atmosphere and subtle outreach strategy seem to have already placed it on a path that is conducive to this goal.

Parkside Bookshop is located at 260 Shawmut Avenue. Its Instagram page, @parksidebookshop, provides updates about upcoming events.

—Staff writer Hannah E. Gadway can be reached at hannah.gadway@thecrimson.com.

BooksArtsMetro Arts