Harvard Professor Gary Ruvkun Wins 2024 Nobel Prize in Medicine

No One Wants to Join the Harvard GSAS Student Council

Multimedia

In Photos: Giant Pumpkins, Barn Animals, and Bees at Topsfield’s Historic Fair

13-Hour Power Shutdown Leaves Dunster House Students in the Dark

California Man Arrested For Threatening Cambridge and Somerville Businesses

This Halloween, Take From the Stage: Theater-Inspired Costume Ideas

There’s no better place to find costume ideas for Halloween than in the dressing rooms of The Great White Way.
There’s no better place to find costume ideas for Halloween than in the dressing rooms of The Great White Way. By Courtesy of Isabelle A. Lu
By Dzifa A. Ackuayi, Contributing Writer

Fall is here, and Halloween is right around the corner. That means it’s time to start brainstorming costumes before Halloweekend sneaks up — and there’s no better place to start than in the dressing rooms of The Great White Way. Below, find theater-inspired costume ideas to try out this Halloween!

“Chicago”

A little black dress, semi-sheer black tights, and a pair of black heels is everything needed to become Roxie Hart from “Chicago” this Halloween. Grab a friend who is willing to style their name with perfect 1920s waves and turn into the aspiring vaudeville star, adulteress, and murderess we all know and love. Want costumes for a dynamic duo? A simple black bob wig, another little black dress, semi sheer tights, and black heels will turn a partner in crime into Roxie’s rival murderess, Velma Kelly. To ensure people recognize the costume, consider printing your face onto a front page news story announcing your arrest, or carry around a speaker playing “Cell Block Tango.” Worried about the cold? Luckily, a suit jacket matches the look perfectly.

“Carrie: The Musical”

Looking to layer up in the cold weather? Embrace the Halloween scaries and go to your party as Margaret, Carrie’s mother from “Carrie: The Musical.” Got a floor length long sleeve nightgown? If not, maybe raid grandma’s closet. Once the gown is procured, red paint is your best friend. With a couple splatters on the dress and a fake knife in hand, anyone would think you just tried to kill your daughter for going to prom. Perfect!

“Newsies”

A perfect group or solo costume, being Jack Kelly or one of his newsie friends utilizes everything already likely to be in your closet. Jack and his friends wear a variation of this signature wardrobe: A button-up shirt, slacks, vest, and a newsboy hat. Accessorize with suspenders, a necktie, a satchel, or a “pape.” Each newsboy has something to set themself apart, so switch those contacts out for glasses or find a cigar to transform into Specs or Race. Most importantly, embrace the early 20th century striking worker look and smudge some dirt on the face. Some scuffs on the arms or face will make it look like you just survived a narrow escape from the NYPD or Delancey Brothers.

“A Chorus Line”

“Turn, turn, out, in, touch, step.” Whip out the choreography to “I Hope I Get It,”and be the star of Halloweekend 2024. To be one of the dancers auditioning for the chance to join a 8-person dance chorus in New York City, all that is needed is some combination of a leotard, tights, sneakers, high heels, a tight 1970s-esque shirt, and leggings. Feeling ill this Halloween and deciding to stay in for the greater good? “Dress up” as Zach, the director running the audition throughout the show, who audiences notably never see. Alternatively, go all out in the blingiest costume of the show: tails, top hats, leotards, and pants, all sequinned in gold.

“Hamilton”

“Work” your way through the Halloween crowds as Angelica, Eliza, and Peggy Schuyler. All that is needed to emulate this iconic trio is two friends and yellow, pink, and blue outfits. White tights and buckle shoes will finish the look and are perfect for Halloween party hopping. To truly embody a specific sister, wear white to be Eliza on her wedding day or black to be Eliza when her son, Phillip Hamilton, dies (a moment of silence, please). Alternatively, embrace your duality as sweet Peggy in yellow and sultry Maria Reynolds in red.

“Anything Goes”

Put on the sailing clothes and prepare to hop on board the S.S. American. To do Halloween as a guest on board, a sun hat, 1930s-esque swimsuit, and white shorts will do. The show’s main character, Reno Sweeney, dons many costumes anyone can use for inspiration. Step out in a sailor shirt, a blue hair scarf, 1930s hairdo, and sailor pants to embody her iconic look from her performance of the song “Anything Goes.” For a more sultry look, Reno’s red nightclub look from “Blow, Gabriel, Blow” will be a sure headturner.

“The Book of Mormon”

This Halloween, become Elder Price, Elder Cunningham, or one of the many other Mormon missionaries in “The Book of Mormon.” Elder Price’s dream to go on a mission to Florida remained a dream, but with this costume, perhaps the dream of waltzing right into Crimween will come true. A short sleeve dress shirt, black tie, black slacks and dress shoes, name tag, and gelled-down side part will complete the transformation from a tired college student to a peppy missionary on the way to spread God’s word. Rock the Elders’ second uniform by switching all black clothing with white. Most importantly, wear a smile!

“Dear Evan Hansen”

For those who have injured their arms right before Halloween, you’re in luck. This Halloween, don a backpack and cast with pride as Evan Hansen from the musical “Dear Evan Hansen.” A blue striped shirt and khakis turns one into the complicated high schooler for a low — or rather high — risk costume. To be Connor Murphy, Evan’s “best friend,” all that is needed is a zip up hoodie or flannel and black pants or jeans. For an especially niche costume, add white wings and a halo headband to be Mike Faist’s Connor Murphy in a performance of “Dear Evan Hansen” at the 2016 Broadway Bonnet’s Competition.

“Waitress”

“Waitress” offers a plethora of low effort costumes. Step out as Jenna Hunterson, a baker and waitress trapped in a troubled marriage, or any of her fellow waitresses in a blue waitress outfit and a white apron. A half-up half-down hairdo and glasses cements the transformation into Dawn, and a high bun to turn into Becky. Have a lab coat lying around? Go as Dr. Pomatter, Jenna’s love interest in the musical. Ogie, the sweet quirky love interest of Dawn, can be replicated with a short sleeved, colorful dress shirt, slicked down combover, and a bouquet of flowers in hand. To really stand out, dress as one of Jenna’s special pies.

“Wicked”

Feeling adventurous? Head to the Emerald City as Elphaba, Glinda, or Fiyero. Elphaba can be captured with a green dress, black boots, and a witches’ hat — the green face paint is reserved for those who truly want to commit. To capture Glinda’s signature look, a pink dress, tiara, wand, and blonde wig will do. Feeling Fiyero? Rock a red vest over a white short sleeve dress shirt, or go green with a light green button up with rolled up sleeves, dark green pants, and brown suspenders. Accessorize with an oil lamp for accuracy points.

TheaterArts