Hate Crimes Reported to Harvard Police Doubled From 2022 to 2023

8 Employees Fired by Company Managing Harvard Gyms

Harvard Police Investigating Missing Mezuzah Incident as ‘Bias Crime’

Harvard Law School Admin, Activists Clash Over Protest Rules

Palestinian Harvard Student Says She Was Targeted in Act of Vandalism

Top Five Art Installations that Brighten the Boston and Cambridge Streets

By Madelyn E. Mckenzie, Crimson Staff Writer

Street art is a growing genre and artistic movement named for its placement — the walls of buildings, highway overpasses, telephone poles, and more. Often thought of as simply graffiti, street art had its humble beginnings in the alleys of 1920s New York City as a tool for denoting gang-controlled areas. Four decades later, the city and the world saw the spread of street art from walls, to subway cars, to windows, and more including nontraditional venues. Street art began to gain the respect it has today, and its shapes and symbols decorate urban spaces that are often desperately in need of a color other than gray.

1. “Damascus Gate (Stretch Variation I)” by Frank Stella in Seaport

Frank Stella’s abstract mural “Damascus Gate (Stretch Variation I)” greets MBTA passengers exiting the Seaport District’s Courthouse station, offering the perfect first look into the rapidly evolving neighborhood. Composed of colorful, hollow semi-circles, the mural towers over Seaport Boulevard welcoming visitors to the neighborhood. The modern and contemporary mural contrasts with its title — the original Damascus Gate was the main entrance into the ancient city of Jerusalem. Stella’s juxtaposition of a contemporary genre and medium with an ancient and traditional one gives passersby a thought-provoking experience.

2. “Glove Cycle” by Mags Harries in the Porter Square MBTA Station

The escalator in the Porter Square MBTA station is treacherous as is, and, when combined with mysterious bronze gloves scattered up and down the medians, the station has quite an eerie feel. Yet, the subtlety of the sculptures makes them all the more intriguing and piques MBTA riders’ interest in this station and its infrastructure. “Glove Cycle” is a great intersection between visually appealing and informative art, blending into the industrial architecture of the station by riffing off its short history; with the station’s opening, these figures remind viewers of the demanded physical labor that comes with rapid industrialization.

3. “Air, sea and land” by Okuda San Miguel in Seaport

Okuda San Miguels’ eye-catching animal sculptures, “Air, sea and land,” that are scattered throughout the center of Boston’s Seaport district perfectly encapsulate the charm of the contemporary neighborhood. The colorful, geometric structures are larger than life and not created with scale in mind. These animal-like figures add a playfulness to the growing concrete jungle that residents and visitors are sure to enjoy.

4. “Make Way for Ducklings” by Nancy Schön in Boston Common

A staple of Boston Common, these eight little bronze ducklings in tow behind their mother frozen in time, urging park-goers to slow down amid the bustling city. The 1987 sculpture was modeled after Robert McCloskey’s 1941 children’s book, “Make Way for Ducklings,” chronicling Mr. and Mrs. Mallard’s search for a new family home. These forever youthful ducklings that never stray far from their mother seem to welcome young college students and families finding their way in Boston.

5. Mural Along the Massachusetts Turnpike by Artists for Humanity in Back Bay

This mural reimagines how art is typically viewed, as it is best admired from an unexpected venue — the Massachusetts Turnpike. The sculptural mural is composed of metal, giving it an industrial effect. While it may seem counterproductive to put a work of art alongside a major highway, the three-dimensional installation not only gives disgruntled drivers something to enjoy while sitting in inevitable traffic, but also encourages commuters and visitors alike to consider the other sights — artistic or otherwise — that the city has to offer.

—Staff writer Madelyn E. McKenzie can be reached at madelyn.mckenzie@thecrimson.com.

ArtsCultureMetro Arts