Harvard Memorial Church Temporarily Closed for Emergency Steeple Repairs

Pro-Palestine Students Banned From Widener Library for 2 Weeks After ‘Study-In’ Protest

Hate Crimes Reported to Harvard Police Doubled From 2022 to 2023

8 Employees Fired by Company Managing Harvard Gyms

Harvard Police Investigating Missing Mezuzah Incident as ‘Bias Crime’

Memorial Church is located in Harvard Yard.
Memorial Church is located in Harvard Yard. By Joey Huang
By Michael R. Carney and Danielle J. Im, Crimson Staff Writers

Harvard’s Memorial Church has been temporarily closed for emergency work on the steeple, according to a University spokesperson.

Memorial Church and the Student Oasis in the basement of the building — which offers a communal kitchen and meeting spaces for students — have been closed since Monday. The church is expected to reopen and resume all programs on Friday.

“An ornamental piece of the building’s steeple was observed to be displaced and possibly loose,” University spokesperson Amy Kamosa wrote in a statement to The Crimson. “In an abundance of caution, the University has closed pedestrian and vehicle access to the area around Memorial Church until the piece can be evaluated for damage.”

Some students said the emergency construction impacted their study habits.

“Because of this closure, we have to find a different spot to lock in,” Kiyeon Cheong ’28 said. “It’s been pretty uncomfortable, but overall, I feel like the spot itself plays a very comfortable and very relaxing vibe.”

“It’s devastating that it’s closed until Friday because now I have to find other places to go,” Samuel Hahn ’28 said.

“It’s a 15-second walk, so I just really like the Oasis in general,” said Hahn, who lives in the freshman dorm Canaday Hall directly next to Memorial Church.

While the building has been closed due to the repairs, most of the surrounding walkways are currently open. Part of Tercentenary Theatre has been fenced off to allow lift equipment to be brought in, wrote Kamosa.

“​​Once the piece is evaluated, restoration experts will work to either remove or secure the element so that access to the building can be restored later this week,” Kamosa wrote.

While students expressed some disappointment over the loss of a study space, they said the construction was not particularly disruptive.

“It’s a minimal impact, in a sense, where sometimes I would have to walk around the sidewalks. But I personally don’t think it’s that big of an inconvenience,” Hahn said.

Over the summer, there were also renovations to the windows, lights and roof of Memorial Church. The project addressed a number of issues, including damaged roof tiles, failing lights, and aging sanctuary windows.

“The existing sanctuary windows’ frames and sashes had deteriorated and rotted sections that needed to be replaced and refurbished in accordance with the Cambridge Historical Commission’s guidance to preserve its historic fabric,” Kamosa wrote in a statement to The Crimson.

The work is expected to be completed Thursday afternoon, with Morning Prayers and all other activities resuming Friday.

—Staff Writer Michael R. Carney can be reached at michael.carney@thecrimson.com.

—Staff Writer Danielle J. Im can be reached at danielle.im@thecrimson.com.

CollegeOn CampusStudent LifeReligionMemorial ChurchFeatured ArticlesCampus ProjectsFront Bottom Feature