HUD Acting Secretary Breaks Ground on Cambridge Affordable Housing Project

HUA Funding Remains the Same Despite 10 Percent Drop in SAF Funding

Cambridge School Committee Talks MCAS Scores, Superintendent Search

The HUA Formed a Team to Resolve a Constitutional Crisis. It’s Not Going Well.

Harvard Memorial Church Temporarily Closed for Emergency Steeple Repairs

Acting Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Adrianne Todman, second from left, participates in a groundbreaking ceremony Wednesday morning.
Acting Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Adrianne Todman, second from left, participates in a groundbreaking ceremony Wednesday morning. By Grace E. Yoon
By Madeline E. Proctor and Grace E. Yoon, Crimson Staff Writers

U.S. Acting Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Adrianne Todman broke ground alongside state and local officials on a Jefferson Park housing revitalization project in a Wednesday ceremony.

The groundbreaking initiated a federally funded project by HUD and the Cambridge Housing Authority to develop 278 affordable housing units in Jefferson Park — replacing 175 existing units and adding 103 new units across two phases.

The affordable housing will be allocated to households earning less than 30 percent of the area median income, with HUD funds subsidizing costs to lower the average rent to $650 per month. Beyond housing, the revitalization will include community amenities such as a daycare center, two Head Start schools, and a food pantry operated by Cambridge Economic Opportunity Committee.

Wednesday’s ceremony ended a decade of planning, with construction now projected to last two to three years, CHA leasing officer Carianna Williams said.

The new units — ranging from 625 to 2,079 square feet — will be a significant upgrade from the original red brick buildings that were demolished for the project.

The original buildings were “constructed in the 1950s on some of the least desirable land in the city,” said Michael Johnston, the executive director of the CHA. “The apartments were in very poor condition and suffered from multiple problems, of which water infiltration from groundwater is the most detrimental.”

“This led to extensive mold and mildew, particularly in 57 of the apartments — and in 2018, those units were deemed by staff to be unlivable,” Johnston added.

Before the groundbreaking, Todman met with tenants who were displaced by the project and offered alternative housing by the CHA. Former tenants may be given priority once the new housing becomes available, but there is “no guarantee,” Williams said.

The CHA leasing officers will “redetermine their eligibility” based on federal regulations, according to Williams.

In an interview with The Crimson, Todman praised Cambridge as a “role model” for its approach to preserving and building affordable housing.

Todman said that the CHA’s initiative in self-developing and managing affordable housing stands out compared to other cities’ housing authorities.

She praised the “level of coordination and collaboration” between local and state governments that made the Jefferson Park project possible.

“Mayor Simmons was there, who spoke highly about this project. The city manager was there. The City Council was there. Leadership from the state was there,” she added.

During the Wednesday ceremony, Todman emphasized the important role of federal funding in creating affordable housing nationwide.

“Hopes and dreams don’t build housing, money does,” she said.

Following the Cambridge ceremony, Todman and Boston Mayor Michelle Wu ’07 announced a $3.28 million HUD loan to improve the Mei Wah Village — an HUD-managed apartment complex in Boston’s Chinatown primarily for older residents.

Officials also shared at the ceremony their personal stories growing up in local public housing projects.

“Four of the elected officials in Cambridge either grew up or lived in public housing,” Cambridge Mayor E. Denise Simmons said. “Councilor Siddiqui and myself included, all grew up in public housing.”

—Staff writer Madeline E. Proctor can be reached at maddie.proctor@thecrimson.com.

—Staff writer Grace E. Yoon can be reached at grace.yoon@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X @graceunkyoon.

CambridgeBostonMetroFront Middle FeatureFeatured ArticlesHousingBiden