Hate Crimes Reported to Harvard Police Doubled From 2022 to 2023

8 Employees Fired by Company Managing Harvard Gyms

Harvard Police Investigating Missing Mezuzah Incident as ‘Bias Crime’

Harvard Law School Admin, Activists Clash Over Protest Rules

Palestinian Harvard Student Says She Was Targeted in Act of Vandalism

Bar Enza Review: Traditional Italian Fare Meets Chic Fine Dining

Chef Tony Susi — 4 Stars

With warm, dimmed lighting and tasteful decor, the setting effectively sets the mood for romantic milestones, business dinners, and other formal occasions.
With warm, dimmed lighting and tasteful decor, the setting effectively sets the mood for romantic milestones, business dinners, and other formal occasions. By Allison S. Park
By Makenna J. Walko, Crimson Staff Writer

Tucked away in the heart of The Charles Hotel, Bar Enza is easy to miss if you’re not looking for it. But to pass by this elegant upscale dining experience would be a mistake — although the price tag is hefty, the decadent Italian cooking is worth the splurge.

The restaurant’s swanky atmosphere matches the ambience of the elegant hotel. With warm, dimmed lighting and tasteful decor, the setting effectively sets the mood for romantic milestones, business dinners, and other formal occasions. Although the seating set-up within the dining room elevates the volume, making conversation challenging at times, the high-top table settings are more secluded and offer a more private dining experience. The waitstaff are attentive and knowledgeable, and the daily specials add to an already robust list of culinary offerings.

The appetizers are the highlight of the menu, particularly the tomato focaccia. A must-order, the focaccia marries sweet and savory flavors. Boasting airy whipped ricotta balanced with a hint of sea salt, this starter alone is worth the venture to Bar Enza.

All of Bar Enza’s pasta dishes are prepared al dente, in the style of many traditional Italian restaurants.
All of Bar Enza’s pasta dishes are prepared al dente, in the style of many traditional Italian restaurants. By Courtesy of Makenna Walko

The appetizers are a hard act to follow. The entrees are reliably good, though perhaps not as raveworthy as the starters. The paccheri, which features spicy sausage ragú, is among the most popular dishes and offers the best bang for your buck. Flavorful and rich though not overwhelming, it’s a solid choice off the pasta menu. The spaghetti, which is topped with crab and snap peas, is enjoyable, although it is a bit light on crab considering the steep price. The spinach tagliatelle is also an appetizing option, and is easily made vegetarian for those trying to steer clear of meat. All of Bar Enza’s pasta dishes are prepared al dente — in the style of many traditional Italian restaurants — and the serving sizes are filling but not over the top.

Bar Enza’s tiramisu is a great way to finish off the night, although it may take connoisseurs of the dessert by surprise. The coffee taste is subtle, and, rather than espresso-dipped lady fingers, the dessert features layers of crunchy crust and creamy filling. Although it may be an unexpected take on the typical tiramisu, it’s nonetheless a sweet and satisfying conclusion to a delicious meal.

For the 21+ crowd, Bar Enza also offers a full cocktail menu. The spritzes come highly recommended: The strawberry spritz is perfect for those with a sweet tooth, and the ugo spritz offers a light, refreshing counterbalance to a heavy and rich dinner.

As the fall sets in and Harvard’s Family Weekend quickly approaches, there’s no need to wonder about the best place to make a reservation: Bar Enza offers a tempting escape from dining hall fare that has something for everyone. Because of the higher prices, it’s a restaurant best saved for special occasions — but when the time to celebrate rolls around, there’s no better place to say cheers.

—Staff writer Makenna J. Walko can be reached at makenna.walko@thecrimson.com.

ArtsCultureMetro Arts