10 Faculty to Serve on College Dean Search Faculty Advisory Committee

Harvard College Dean Khurana ‘Disappointed’ By Post-Affirmative Action Race Data

Hakeem Jeffries Says Dems Will Let Investigations Into Harvard ‘Run Their Course’

Faculty Members Suspended From Harvard’s Main Library After ‘Study-In’ Protest

Nancy Pelosi Defends Biden’s Policy Toward Gaza at Book Event Interrupted by Protests

HUPD Renovations Expected to Wrap Up by End of Year

The Harvard University Police Department is located at 1033 Massachusetts Ave.
The Harvard University Police Department is located at 1033 Massachusetts Ave. By Matthew S. Allana
By Michael R. Carney and Danielle J. Im, Crimson Staff Writers

The Harvard University Police Department headquarters expects to largely conclude its renovations by the end of the year, wrapping up a construction project that began in April.

The University has been renovating the aging exterior of 1033 Massachusetts Ave., where HUPD — which has continued to remain open during construction — is headquartered. Some scaffolding will remain on the side of the building adjacent to Mass. Ave. through early 2025, Harvard spokesperson Amy Kamosa wrote in a statement.

The renovations are taking place among a number of other changes at 1033 Mass. Ave., a mixed-use building with retail, office, and residential space originally constructed in 1968.

Harvard’s Financial Administration unit, previously located on the second floor of the building, relocated prior to the beginning of construction, according to Kamosa.

In addition to the renovations to HUPD, Domino’s, another tenant of the building, is renovating their interior while remaining open.

The project included updates to the exterior facade of the building — including its windows — due to age and water damage. The exterior building coating will be replaced, allowing for repairs to any underlying cracked concrete and improved waterproofing of the building, according to Kamosa.

Kamosa wrote that HUPD — which also maintains office spaces in other locations around campus — has been in collaboration with Harvard Real Estate and a construction management company to limit the impact of renovations and continue to operate 24/7. Some interior updates to the space, including changes to paint, lighting, and technology, are in progress in parallel to the exterior renovations.

With construction scheduled to be complete by early 2025, no further infrastructure projects are planned for the HUPD headquarters, according to Kamosa.

—Staff Writer Michael R. Carney can be reached at michael.carney@thecrimson.com.

—Staff Writer Danielle J. Im can be reached at danielle.im@thecrimson.com.

HUPDMetroCampus Projects