Cambridge Health Alliance Ratifies New Contract with Residents and Fellows Union

Boston and Somerville Police Have Body Cameras. Why Doesn’t Cambridge?

Arraignment Hearing For Pro-Palestine Harvard Graduate Students Postponed For The Third Time

Former Greek Prime Minister Discusses Relationship with Turkey at IOP Forum

AI Is Changing Healthcare. Harvard Medical School Is Following Suit.

Cambridge Hospital Alliance workers protest outside of the Cambridge City Hall in August.
Cambridge Hospital Alliance workers protest outside of the Cambridge City Hall in August. By Cam E. Kettles
By Aran Sonnad-Joshi and Sheerea X. Yu, Crimson Staff Writers

Resident physicians and fellows at Cambridge Hospital ratified a new contract with Cambridge Health Alliance on Friday after six months of negotiations.

About 99 percent of the doctors — who are represented by the Committee of Interns and Residents, a local branch of the Service Employees International Union — voted in favor of the new contract, which grants residents and fellows a 20.5 and 17 percent increase in salary, respectively.

“An improvement in pay allows us to actually live in the community that we’re serving, and I think we’re really hoping to be able to be in close proximity to our patients,” Justin W. Halloran, a CHA resident and CIRSEIU regional vice-president, said.

Alongside wage increases, the contract also offers increased educational stipends, new committees for mental health and workload relief, and pay for “excessive night shifts among internal medicine doctors,” according to a press release from the union.

“We’re cautiously optimistic that we found a way to meet both our needs for mental health as well as the hospital’s needs for coming up with a sustainable structure for that,” Halloran said.

Halloran said the union is also “looking forward” to expanding the diversity of residents at the hospital, pointing specifically to a new benefit that gives residents“protective time for religious holidays.”

“I think it will just make it easier for us to attract a talented, diverse resident group,” Halloran said.

“We value the tremendous contributions our resident physicians and interns make to patient care, and we are happy to come to an agreement for a new contract with them,” David Cecere, a spokesperson for CHA, wrote in an emailed statement to The Crimson.

During the six months of contract negotiations, residents and fellows held two major rallies: one outside Cambridge Hospital on Aug. 28, and another at Cambridge City Hall on Oct. 1. The City Hall rally specifically supported a resolution urging CHA to reach a contract with the union, which the City Council ratified.

“There’s been a lot of energy that has come from our resident community,” Halloran said. “That energy has manifested in the desire to get a closer deal done faster, and I think that HR was responsive to the things that they heard.”

—Staff writer Aran Sonnad-Joshi can be reached at aran.sonnad-joshi@thecrimson.com. Follow him on X @asonnadjoshi.

—Staff writer Sheerea X. Yu can be reached at sheerea.yu@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X @_shuhree_.

HealthLaborCambridgeMedicineMetroFeatured ArticlesHospitalsFront Bottom Feature