Prevalence of Sexual Misconduct Drops Sharply at Harvard, Survey Finds

Sports

Harvard Men’s Lightweight 8 Claims Third Straight Head of the Charles Victory

Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard Lays Off 87 Workers in Restructuring Effort

Shahmir Aziz ’25 Named Rhodes Scholar From Pakistan

59th Head of the Charles Regatta Brings Thousands to Cambridge

Maggie Rogers Concert Review: A Dazzling Performance that Excelled on Every Front

Maggie Rogers performed at TD Garden on Oct. 17.
Maggie Rogers performed at TD Garden on Oct. 17. By Courtesy of Monique I. Vobecky
By Monique I. Vobecky, Crimson Staff Writer

Through a cloud of fog and mist, Maggie Rogers rose onto the stage, veiled in a glamorous dress, to begin her show on Oct. 17 at TD Garden. Rogers’s glittering entrance — which elicited both immense audience excitement and palpable anticipation — was just a glimpse at the excellent performance soon to come.

For her “Don't Forget Me Tour, Part II,” Maggie Rogers brought her third studio album to life. The Easton, Maryland native’s ability to sell out the Garden was no surprise given her immense debut success. Rogers received a Grammy nomination for Best New Artist for her 2019 debut album “Heard it in a Past Life,” which also entered as No. 1 in the Billboard’s Top Album Sales Chart.

Simply put, Rogers’s strength is performance. Fittingly, the concert’s stage design beautifully complemented her natural charisma and low-key demeanor. With glittering stage lights that expertly aligned with the tone of the song, Rogers turned her concert into an immersive experience rather than just a show. These elements, selected and curated to accurately fit her indie sound, effectively transported fans and newcomers alike into each song she performed.

To not highlight the awe-striking power of Rogers’s live vocals would similarly be a disservice. There was not a moment where Rogers’s voice waned, and her melodious vocals remained consistent throughout the setlist. Particularly impressive in her performance of “Love You for a Long Time” and “Alaska,” Rogers mastered the balance of focusing on performance and executing her vocal talents.

While Rogers’s unique dancing style of seemingly erratic movements was jarring at first, the expressiveness of her performance throughout the night allowed her to paint a clear picture of who she is as an artist to her audience. She is clearly not one to fit into the typical concert conventions. Instead, she has her own unique performance style that effectively mesmerizes audiences.

Rogers’s confidence helped her convey this message through her performance. Continuing her bewitching start, Rogers never shied away from performing to the tone of both the music and audience. Her improv to best fit the setting was refreshing and impressive, giving her performance a real sense of authenticity.

Her connection to Boston should also not go unnoticed. Rogers graduated from Harvard Divinity School in 2022 and dedicated a few moments to reminiscing on her time in Cambridge. Although this is unique to the location of this show, Rogers did well in connecting to the city she was performing in, creating a stark contrast between her tribute to Boston and other artists’ tendency to solely mention the name of the city they are in.

Although not immensely impactful to the quality of Rogers’s performance, the concert's tone remained stagnant throughout the night. By changing the lighting and tempo of each song more frequently, Rogers could have added more dimensions to the show. During lulls between songs, these slight changes would have allowed the audience’s excitement to fill in the empty gaps, a feature that the show lacked.

While it is no surprise that a Grammy-nominated artist would put on a dazzling performance, Rogers takes it to the next level. Her attention to detail, striking performance, and natural authenticity made her concert an unforgettable night.

—Staff writer Monique I. Vobecky can be reached at monique.vobecky@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X @moniquevobecky.

MusicArtsMetro Arts