Prevalence of Sexual Misconduct Drops Sharply at Harvard, Survey Finds

Sports

Harvard Men’s Lightweight 8 Claims Third Straight Head of the Charles Victory

Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard Lays Off 87 Workers in Restructuring Effort

Shahmir Aziz ’25 Named Rhodes Scholar From Pakistan

59th Head of the Charles Regatta Brings Thousands to Cambridge

Lakon Review: Reimagining Parisian Croissants

3.5 Stars

The pistachio croissant, for example, is topped with pistachios and a zig-zag drizzle that hints at the rich filling inside.
The pistachio croissant, for example, is topped with pistachios and a zig-zag drizzle that hints at the rich filling inside. By Courtesy of Anastasia Poliakova
By Anastasia Poliakova, Contributing Writer

Once viral for their cube croissants, Lakon— a Parisian bakery in Brookline — is a forgotten gem whose croissants have left a lasting impression on Boston’s food culture with their bold and unique flavors.

Not far from the Coolidge Corner Theatre, this little cafe is perfect for a quick grab-and-go treat. The cafe was originally known for its chic Parisian vibe, but it has since shifted to a cleaner, modern look.

Lakon offers a variety of different pastries, from sweets like éclairs and tiramisus to their famed croissants — both standard and cube-shaped. Unfortunately, some croissants, including their milk cream cube croissant, are limited to weekends only.

image id=1373877 align=center size=large caption=true

Lakon reimagines the traditional Parisian croissant and transforms it into a unique blend of sweet flavors. Each flavored croissant is a true aesthetic masterpiece, with unique designs infusing each one with a distinct character.

The pistachio croissant, for example, is topped with pistachios and a zig-zag drizzle that hints at the rich filling inside. At the first glance, the croissant’s design seems to imitate the shape of a football. Flavor-wise, the filling offers hints of pistachio that perfectly complement the sugary crust. Lakon also offers other flavors including almond, lemon meringue, and tiramisu, to name a few. Lakon also offers its famed cube croissants in two flavors: butter and milk cream. While these croissants are perfectly sized for one serving, they’re also delightful to share.

Although Lakon’s aesthetically pleasing croissants steal the show, the coffee is underwhelming. Bland and not at all unique, it’s like something you’d make at home. However, unlike other coffee shops that tend to over-sweeten their coffee and other drinks, Lakon keeps things simple.

In particular, their iced latte strikes a smooth blend of sweet and bitter, offering a refreshing option for those who prefer an understated flavor in their coffee. If you're looking for a quick, not-too-sweet pick-me-up, the iced latte is the way to go. While coffee may not be Lakon’s strong suit, it’s a step above the typical over-sweetened coffee commonly found in the Boston area.

Ultimately, if you are looking for the taste of a traditional Parisian croissant, Lakon isn’t the place to go. Although Lakon markets itself as a genuine Parisian bakery, their croissants are not at all Parisian. Rather than the signature delicate, flaky, and crisp texture that defines Parisian croissants, Lakon’s version is disappointingly soft — quite like white bread.

The pistachio croissant also clearly uses green food coloring in the filling, which can be off-putting. The bright, unnatural green is the last thing one expects from real pistachios’ subtle and earthy tone. The croissant is aesthetically pleasing from the outside, but not so much on the inside — showing that while Lakon excels in creativity, it falls short in delivering the true Parisian experience.

The viral hype around its cube croissants has faded, but Lakon’s imaginative and sweet creations — especially their flavored croissants — are definitely worth a visit. For those open to a reinterpretation of the classic French pastry, Lakon is the place to stop by whenever you happen to be in Brookline.

ArtsCultureMetro Arts