In Photos: The 59th Head of the Charles Regatta

By Crimson Multimedia Staff
By Addison Y. Liu

The annual Head of the Charles Regatta returned for its 59th iteration this past weekend. Bringing together more than 11,000 competitors and thousands of spectators from around the world, the regatta is the largest of its kind. Over the three-day event, Crimson photographers lined the Charles River to capture the energy and life it brought to campus.

By Sarah G. Erickson

The three-day rowing race began in 1965 on the Charles River. This year, the competition brought together 2,600 boats representing high schools, colleges, and clubs from 26 nations.

The Harvard women’s lightweight rowing team exits the newly renovated Weld Boathouse early Sunday afternoon for their race.

Boats pass each of Harvard’s river houses, including Eliot House, along the three-mile race course.

The course begins near Boston University and ends just past Harvard, passing under both the John W. Weeks Memorial Bridge and the Anderson Memorial Bridge.

Boats take a sharp turn at Weeks Bridge, marking one of the most difficult points in the course.

The Anderson Memorial Bridge is the fifth of six bridges rowers must pass through on the course.

More than 2,400 volunteers station themselves throughout the course. Above, volunteers and officials observe passing rowers in front of Weeks Bridge.

Vendors selling food and race merchandise line the banks of the Charles River.

Rowers glide over the river in an eight, a competition boat propelled using sweep oars and steered by a coxswain.

Spectators cheer for rowers from the sidelines, rooting for their family and friends on the water.

Rowers and spectators alike enjoy the sunny autumnal weather in Cambridge this weekend.

Leo M. Bessler ’26, left, celebrates with Tom O’Sullivan ’25 after the men’s heavyweight team finished in second place, punctuating a successful weekend on the Charles.

Head of the Charles 2024Photo EssayFront Photo Feature