59th Head of the Charles Regatta Brings Thousands to Cambridge

Kip Thorne, 2017 Nobel Laureate, Talks Black Holes During Inaugural Hawking Lecture

Harvard Senior Ryan Murdock ’25 Dies After Brief Illness

Individual Rescued After Sustaining Injuries From Weeks Bridge Jump

Sports

Harvard Survives 35-34 Nail-Biter Against Holy Cross to Extend Winning Streak

Thousands of competitors and spectators gather along the river for the 59th annual Head of the Charles Regatta this past weekend.
Thousands of competitors and spectators gather along the river for the 59th annual Head of the Charles Regatta this past weekend. By Ellen P. Cassidy
By Hugo C. Chiasson and Graham W. Lee, Contributing Writers

The 59th annual Head of the Charles Regatta drew thousands of rowers, coaches, and spectators from around the world to the banks of the Charles River from Friday to Sunday.

More than 800 rowing clubs and 12,000 athletes flocked to Cambridge for the regatta — the largest in the world. They raced on a three-mile course, which began near Boston University and ended just past Harvard.

Max Blackbourn ’28, a member of Harvard’s men’s heavyweight rowing team, said he was proud to have participated in the race.

“There was a big sense of joy and relief on the finish line to feel like we’d really given it 100 percent and that we’d tried to represent Harvard as well as we possibly could,” he said.

Blackbourn added that it felt “really special” to race in front of the home crowd and see fans gather around Harvard Square and the river.

“The most special feeling is rowing exactly like we normally do — on the exact same stretch of river — and yet this time there are thousands of spectators absolutely everywhere all cheering or supporting or clapping or waving,” he said.

“You’re used to it just being dead quiet — whilst racing too — we’re all focused within our boat and just focused on the actual race itself,” Blackbourne added. “You listen in to the voices and you realize that there is just people absolutely everywhere all supporting you, chanting for you, and that’s an incredible feeling.”

Regatta organizers said they have sought to make the event more environmentally friendly since 2019, when they first launched the Head of the Charles Sustainability Program.

John C. Nagao, one of the co-chairs of the event’s sustainability committee, said they hope to reduce the event’s waste by more than 50 percent this year through composting.

“This is our first year we’ve been able to reach out to vendors on an individual basis prior to the regatta and offer ourselves as resources,” Miriam Wolfe, one of Nagao’s co-chairs, added.

For many Harvard students, like Caroline M. Fouts ’28, the regatta was a chance to support their friends and roommates who raced for Harvard’s team.

“They crushed it, they did so well, and it’s such a nice day out,” Fouts said. “It was so amazing being able to be in the boathouse cheering them on.”

“I see my roommate go to practice at 6:30 a.m. every day. It’s nice to see her put all the work she’s been doing into practice,” added Sarita Y. Popat ’28, who attended the event with Fouts.

CollegeMen's CrewWomen's CrewHarvard SquareDepartment of AthleticsHead of the Charles 2024Featured ArticlesFront Bottom Feature