Harvard Senior Ryan Murdock ’25 Dies After Brief Illness

Individual Rescued After Sustaining Injuries From Weeks Bridge Jump

Sports

Harvard Survives 35-34 Nail-Biter Against Holy Cross to Extend Winning Streak

Sports

‘It’s Like the Super Bowl for Us’: Harvard’s Alumni Make Their Head of the Charles Return

Harvard’s Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer Condemns Antisemitic Stickers

Dunster House senior Ryan H. Murdock '25 died on Friday after a brief illness.
Dunster House senior Ryan H. Murdock '25 died on Friday after a brief illness. By Andrew Lu
By Joyce E. Kim, Crimson Staff Writer

Dunster House senior Ryan H. Murdock ’25 died on Friday after a brief illness, the College announced Sunday.

Dean of the College Rakesh Khurana announced Murdock’s death in an email to College students and staff on Sunday morning after speaking with the student’s family.

“Ryan was a remarkable person and had an amazing presence on campus. He came to Harvard from Wayland, MA, and his spirit of kindness and advocacy work was an inspiration to everyone he met,” Khurana wrote.

Dunster House Faculty Deans Cheryl Chen and Sean D. Kelly and Resident Dean Gregory Davis wrote that Murdock passed away on Friday evening after a “brief illness” in an email to Dunster House residents, prior to Khurana’s email.

They described Murdock as a “a frequent and much-loved presence in the House” who “could often be seen chatting with friends and fellow Meese in the Dining Hall.”

“Our hearts go out to Ryan’s loved ones and family members, some of whom you may have also seen around the House. We too are heartbroken,” they wrote. “Ryan was a beloved member of the Dunster community, and his passing is a deep loss for us all.”

Murdock, who hailed from Wayland, Mass., was a double concentrator in Earth and Planetary Sciences and Government who “was passionate about environmental issues, public health, and human rights law,” according to Khurana’s email.

During his time at College, Murdock served as an officer in the Harvard Undergraduate Disability Justice Club and wrote for the Harvard International Review. He was also a member of Harvard Undergraduates for Bipartisan Solutions and the Catholic Student Association and, prior to his freshman year, participated in the First-Year Outdoor Program.

Khurana and the Dunster deans urged students to attend a gathering in the Junior Common Room at 4:30 p.m. on Sunday for support.

“It is important to remember that loss impacts each of us differently, and there is no right way to mourn,” Khurana wrote. “As you grieve, I encourage you to turn to family members, friends, or others close to you who can help you process this loss.”

—Staff writer Joyce E. Kim can be reached at joyce.kim@thecrimson.com. Follow her on X at @joycekim324.

CollegeStudent LifeObituaryFeatured ArticlesFront Bottom Feature