Dean of Students Dunne Says College to Host ‘Safe’ Harvard-Yale Tailgate

Wendy Sherman Says Gaza Situation is ‘Absolutely Dire’ During Harvard IOP Talk

Harvard Researchers Suggest Green Hydrogen Will Remain Costlier Than Projected

‘A Marathon, Not a Sprint’: Faculty Launch App to Promote Physical Activity

Brigham and Women’s Research Examines Potential Causes of Long Covid-19

‘Monitoring Me’ Single Review: Lil Durk Raps on Safe Mode

2.5 Stars

Lil Durk released "Monitoring Me" on Oct. 4.
Lil Durk released "Monitoring Me" on Oct. 4. By Courtesy of Lil Durk / Alamo Records
By Jorden S. Wallican-Okyere, Contributing Writer

Known for his streetwise lyrics and melodic flow, Lil Durk returns to his drill roots with his new single “Monitoring Me.” However, while the rapper’s signature sound remains intact, “Monitoring Me” struggles to offer anything new to the ever-evolving rap scene.

Though currently gaining attention for his role in the TV show “Power,” Grammy award-winning Chicago-born artist Lil Durk released the track on Oct. 4, the second single from his upcoming album, “Deep Thoughts.” Unlike his widely popular collaboration with J. Cole last year, “All My Life,” which catered to broader audiences with its uplifting tone and radio-friendly sound, “Monitoring Me” steers away from pop palatability. Instead, Durk opts for a sound that drill fans — and possibly only drill fans — will appreciate.

“Monitoring Me” clocks in at a short 2 minutes and 24 seconds, so it’s efficient, if nothing else. The song begins as a dark, minimalist piano loop courtesy of Chicago producer Southside. Durk wastes no time diving into his classic flow, and the haunting drum-heavy trap beat that ensues is reminiscent of his earlier work. But beyond this initial impact, the track doesn’t evolve or build on its promising start. The beat, though adequate, doesn’t have time to fully take off, and Durk’s delivery — though technically precise — feels shallow, leaving listeners craving something more dynamic.

Thematically, “Monitoring Me” treads familiar drill waters: Sex, drugs, money, and murder. The song’s aggressive and combatant lyrics are characteristic of the Chicago drill genre. For the first minute and a half of the song, Durk raps solely about guns, money, and violence. In lines like “I can merch on all my kids, lil' boy / you ain't make a gun clap” and “You know that money be different / they come to your building to kill you and the doorman,” Durk paints a picture of the unrelenting violence that fuels the gritty ethos of the gangster rap genre. These lyrics, mixed with the absence of a clear chorus, intro, or bridge, add an element of unpredictability to the track, but the lack of structure quickly becomes disorienting and hard to follow. The song feels more like a menacing rant than a cohesive piece of music.

Misogynistic and violent lyrics are also pervasive throughout “Monitoring Me.” Durk says “I know he was a real killer ‘cause I seen ‘em do it / he ain’t even wipe off his hand,” followed by an explanation of a graphic sexual encounter. It’s a jarring and gratuitously empty mix of themes.

There are, however, brief moments of substance. When Durk says “I can’t tell you what I had told him for real / my shit be monetized,” or that he “charged a ball player a thousand dollar line” to use his brand, or even that many rappers “who rap that be in the ‘Raq don’t even be in the ‘Raq,” he hints at the intersection of fame, commodification, and rap’s romanticization of a life of struggle.

These moments offer brief glimmers of insights into Durk’s current mindset — one where success and survival coexist in tension. Yet, even this is not enough to elevate the track. The mention of monetization feels less like introspection and more like a passing boast, and while the lyrics themselves are abrasive, they aren’t polemic in the slightest.

“Monitoring Me” is a track that is solid but unspectacular. While Durk’s return to drill might satisfy longtime fans, the single fails to push the genre — or his own artistry — forward. As an increasing number of rap artists continue to test the sonic boundaries of the genre, “Monitoring Me” sticks to a formula that feels overfamiliar and altogether uninteresting.

“Monitoring Me” fades from memory almost as quickly as it arrives. It’s a middling track, and for a rapper with undeniable talent and mainstream success, it’s hard to not want more.

MusicArts