Harvard Lampoon Claims The Crimson Endorsed Trump at Pennsylvania Rally

Mass. DCR to Begin $1.5 Million Safety Upgrades to Memorial Drive Monday

Sports

Harvard Football Topples No. 16/21 UNH in Bounce-Back Win

Sports

After Tough Loss at Brown, Harvard Football Looks to Keep Ivy Title Hopes Alive

Harvard’s Greenhouse Gas Emissions Increased by 2.3 Percentage Points in 2023

‘We Go Down Together’ Review: A Collab that Sadly Lives Up to its Title

3 Stars

Dove Cameron and Khalid released 'We Go Down Together' on Feb. 10.
Dove Cameron and Khalid released 'We Go Down Together' on Feb. 10. By Courtesy of Dove Cameron/Khalid/Columbia Records/Disruptor Records
By Alessandro M.M. Drake, Contributing Writer

A spooky piano, backed by soft, twangy strings. Dove Cameron’s gentle voice beckoning the viewer into a suspicious hallway. Stark fluorescent fixtures plastering the white walls with flickering light. All of a sudden, Khalid makes an appearance, cracking the windows and letting some sunlight in. Forgettable verses and somewhat overly grandiose choruses ensue. With its mismatch of mystery and monotony, of ethereal singing and subpar writing, one question permeates Cameron’s new single “We Go Down Together” — Where were we going with this again?

“We Go Down Together” seems determined to capture Cameron’s signature style of gritty mystery which propelled her smash hit “Boyfriend” to the Top 20 of Billboard’s Hot 100. The undeniably eerie intro sets the stage for something similar, but a song that aims for mystery needs lyrics that match, and “We Go Down Together” simply doesn’t have them. Cameron’s first verse provides a mildly intriguing opening with “Dream in the light, dance in the dark,” but then follows it up with the cliche “You fill the spaces inside of my heart.” Passing the torch to Khalid, he fails to do much better. As he asks, “Am I really mine? Are you really yours?” the singer echoes what could be the opening of a sixth grade philosophy project more than a thought-provoking introspection.

Musically, “We Go Down Together” has its strengths. The chorus is undeniably powerful, showcasing reverb-filled rhythms and soaring, dynamic melodies. The ending takes this up a notch, letting the listener forget the rest of the song and instead bask in the raw and beautiful combination of Cameron and Khalid’s vocals, with the heartfelt swell of the strings to match. That first moment when Cameron and Khalid harmonize — creating a single wave-like melody — stands out as three seconds of truly stunning sound. Cameron’s voice effectively complements the song’s feel; her soft storytelling interspersed with quick, pointed vibrato that effectively contrasts the falling, dark instrumentals. If it weren’t for subpar lyrics and verse production that leaves the listener asking for more, “We Go Down Together” could have the makings of a real hit.

While Khalid’s feature will undoubtedly provide millions of streams to this single, Cameron’s past work proves that she is capable of far more. In the end, “We Go Down Together” is ultimately a track lesser than the sum of its parts. Khalid’s contribution added an uneventful verse with pedestrian lyrics, and though the duo certainly had shining moments, the words “we go down together” will never be associated with a song that isn’t The Chainsmokers’s “Paris.”

MusicArts