Harvard Lampoon Claims The Crimson Endorsed Trump at Pennsylvania Rally

Mass. DCR to Begin $1.5 Million Safety Upgrades to Memorial Drive Monday

Sports

Harvard Football Topples No. 16/21 UNH in Bounce-Back Win

Sports

After Tough Loss at Brown, Harvard Football Looks to Keep Ivy Title Hopes Alive

Harvard’s Greenhouse Gas Emissions Increased by 2.3 Percentage Points in 2023

And at Harvard

As General Hershey and 51 members of the Selective Service Youth Advisory Council listened to a prayer for "a U.S. that is a blessing to the world" and "a clean press," thousands of Harvard undergraduates grouped around radios waiting not to hear their birthdays announced.

For the next hour and a half they came dribbling slowly out of doors, the saddest first, into wine shops, into bars, the Harvard Pro, or just to wander around the Square.

At 8:23 p.m., a despairing "Oh, shit" echoed down Mt. Auburn Street.

At 8:50 p.m., a number 71 was walking down the street near Adams House with a bottle of Chianti. He approached a total stranger- a number 89, it later developed- and said "seventy-one."

The stranger walked five steps, turned, and said "eighty-nine" He stuck out his hand, drank 71's wine, and left.

At 9:10 p.m., those still around theirradios began making plans for sabbaticals next year. At 9:38 p.m. they too. poured out into the streets. No street-lighting was reported between the over-200 and under-200 groups. Gangs did roam the streets. however, saying "Happy Birthday" and "Ho, Ho, Ho, Chi Minh."

Many of those without radios poured in to the CRIMSON. where a list was posted. Some started their search at the top of the list some at the bottom. As they passed each other in the middle. they smiled nervously. A number 30- who had started from the bottom found himself and gasped. "Oh, My God!"

A number 312 said,. "I really love the new system. ever since they got past 200."

But others were not so happy. One- a number 20- left last night for New York to enlist in the reserves.

And a September 14 (number one) junior got two surprises yesterday. The other was a letter from Harvard informing him he had flunked out.