Harvard Lampoon Claims The Crimson Endorsed Trump at Pennsylvania Rally

Mass. DCR to Begin $1.5 Million Safety Upgrades to Memorial Drive Monday

Sports

Harvard Football Topples No. 16/21 UNH in Bounce-Back Win

Sports

After Tough Loss at Brown, Harvard Football Looks to Keep Ivy Title Hopes Alive

Harvard’s Greenhouse Gas Emissions Increased by 2.3 Percentage Points in 2023

CHARLES TOWNSEND COPELAND

No member of the University who has climbed the stairs of the south entry of Hollis Hall, crossed the threshold of Professor Charles Townsend Copeland's room and stood in the soft light of the sanctuary under the intense scrutiny of its little occupant will ever deny that he has penetrated to the heart of Harvard. There, as in a shrine, for many years the essence of the tradition, the spirit of the fame, the glory of the name of "Fair Harvard" has been accumulating about a man who has always stood for what the University holds most dear and who as a result will never fail to be held in reverence by the institution which recognizes in him the embodiment of those qualities which have made its name renowned.

No one who has taken English 12, picked up "The Copeland Reader" and browsed at random, or sat entranced under the spell of Professor Copeland's reading can have failed to realize his personification of Harvard's gentleman liness and scholarship. Any one of these experiences would be more than sufficient to make the announcement of Professor Copeland's resignation from the Faculty tragic if the fact of his resigning made it conceivable that he would lose one iota of his nearness to the University. He is and ever will be Harvard's as much as University Hall is Harvard's, and into Hollis Hall he has, with the charm of the magician, brought the Harvard of the past, the present, and it is to be hoped--the future about him.